The Tongass National Forest is our home.
The public lands of the Tongass are important for all Americans, but they’re essential for those of us who live here. This is where our families hunt, fish, gather food, and work on the land in ways that just aren't possible anywhere else in the country.
But Senator Murkowski wants to privatize it.
Senator Murkowski has introduced a suite of devastating bills that would:
- Roll back the 2016 Tongass Plan Amendment and ramp up old growth clearcut logging in our forests;
- Repeal the Roadless Rule in Alaska. This would put intact stands of important old growth habitat at risk of clearcutting, threaten crucial salmon and wildlife habitat, and burden taxpayers with the exorbitant cost of roadbuilding in these remote areas;
- Require the government to buy back degraded lands from corporations that clearcut the forest;
- Require the Forest Service to trade worthless gravel and rock beneath clearcut land for pristine forests with high value timber and very high value rare-earth metal mining rights;
- Bypass the normal process of appraisal and result in a major loss for taxpayers and the American public;
- Privatize thousands of acres of the Tongass National Forest.
Your voice matters!
Write to your senator below. We'll deliver your words straight to Washington, D.C.
If you want to submit your letter to your local newspaper, let us know! We can help you hone your argument and get your words published.